Translate this page

Thursday, February 3, 2011

AGEISM IN CANADA

 Many blog visitors appear to be interested in Ageism.  The following table shows the average of three studies exploring Canadian Ageism. Displayed are responses from a questionnaire designed by Erdman Palmore, a major researcher of Ageism in North America.. It includes findings from my study of Ageism in British Columbia

Item #                           Event                                            Percent Reporting                                              



#1
Told Jokes making fun of old people
68
#2
Birthday card that pokes fun of old people
50
#12
Assumed ailment caused by my age
42
#5
Patronized & “talked down” to because age
37
#3
Ignored & not  taken seriously 
36
#10
Treated with less dignity and respect
29
#18
Told “You’re too old.”
29
#17
Assumed could not understand due to age
27
#16
Assumed deaf because of my age
26
#4
Called insulting name because of my age
23
#11
Waiter ignored me because of my age
19
#14
Denied employment due to my age
18
#15
Denied promotion due to my age
13
#9
Rejected as unattractive due to my age
12
#7
Difficulty getting loan because of my age
 9
#8
Denial of leadership because of my age
 8
#13
Denied medical treatment because of age
 7
#20
Victimized because of my age
 4
#19
Home vandalized because of my age
 4
#6
Refused rental housing because of my age
 2






2 comments:

  1. This is just unbelievable. Our elder have spent their lives helping, teaching and showing the way for others. Along with this there is also the abuse of recent days in the news. Something really needs to be done a change is needed drastically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suz,
    You have the right attitude, what we need to do is make sure that others know about this and then organize something strong, Like the civil rights movement

    ReplyDelete